Unlike most specialties in medicine, anesthesiology often isn’t a core element of the medical school curriculum. It follows, then, that for most students exploring a career in anesthesiology, the best way to build the foundations for a clinical anesthesia rotation is to self-teach, primarily using a collection of online resources.
Here, I’ve featured some of the resources that I’ve found most valuable in learning about anesthesiology, advancing my professional development in the field, or preparing for clinical rotations in anesthesiology and critical care. It’s an active work in progress, so if you’re underwhelmed at first, check back frequently for updates, or let me know in the comments section what topics you’d like to learn more about!
- Access Anesthesiology* | McGraw-Hill Medical
- Anesthesia Student Survival Guide* | Ehrenfeld, Urman, and Segal [VU]
- Basics of Anesthesia* | Miller and Pardo [VU]
- “CA-1 Tutorial Textbook” | Stanford Anesthesiology
- Clinical Anesthesiology* | Morgan and Mikhail [VU]
- The ICU Book* | Marino [VU]
Journals and Newsletters
- Anesthesiology* | American Society of Anesthesiologists [VU]
- ASA Monitor*| American Society of Anesthesiologists
Selected ‘High-Yield’ Topics
- “Anesthesia Preoperative Evaluation Syllabus” | UC San Diego Anesthesiology
Skills and Procedures
- “Central Venous Catheterization” | Graham et al., New England Journal of Medicine
- “Peripheral Intravenous Catheterization” | Ortega et al., New England Journal of Medicine
- “Placement of an Arterial Line” | Tegtmeyer et al., New England Journal of Medicine
- “Pulmonary Artery Catheterization” | Kelly and Rabbani, New England Journal of Medicine
- “Ultrasound-Guided Insertion of a Radial Arterial Catheter” | Ailon et al., New England Journal of Medicine
- American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) Medical Student Component
- Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER) Medical Student Anesthesia Research Fellowship Program
- “Guide to Building an Active Anesthesia Student Interest Group” | American Society of Anesthesiologists
- “Optimize Your Match” | American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Anesthesia/Critical Care Reviews and Commentary (ACCRAC) Podcast | Wolpaw
- “Twitter Journal Club Series” | Duke Anesthesiology
* Requires an institutional subscription or individual purchase. Check your institution’s library to see if your university or medical center has access to this resource. I have no financial interests in any of the for-purchase resources listed here. Individuals affiliated with Vanderbilt: click the “VU” links, where available, to access these resources through the VU/VUMC library system.
Created: 10/27/2017; Last updated: 10/27/2017.